Nikon D40


D40
Nikon D40 is one of the best selling entry level DSLR camera available in market since 2006. It retails at RM2088 with single lens kit & RM2699 with twin lens kit. Early this year, I decided to get myself a D40 since it obtained good reviews from most of the users & meant for a DSLR camera beginner.

Shopping Experience
I had survey more than 5 shops around Klang valley in order to get the best bargain of D40. Finally, I stop my hunting at the store namely Tarita in Sungai Wang. The offer is reasonable & lower than other shops I asked before. The package I have comes with Nikon D40 Single Lens Kit, 2GB Nikon SD Card, Screen Protector, Tripod & Nikon DSLR bag.


The Look
This is my first DSLR camera so I don't have any experience on others DSLR cameras, can't really compared it with others. However, I did tested on some DSLRs before I selected D40. For me, it's ergonomics, lightweight & sturdy. It comes with comfortable grip design & non-slip rubber type materials covered the grip part to provides better feel on hand. It equipped with 2.5" sharp & clear LCD screen, the viewfinder is bright & magnify up to 0.8x & manual dial button is easy to access via a single hand. The internal flash is pop up at the right height just suitable to assist the camera capture image in low light.



Performance
It startup fast & ready to shoot in just second. I have no doubt for its image quality since my first take. It's sharp, clear & vivid. Someone may found the color of Nikon is a bit over compared others in terms of saturation. Image color is more vivid compared with what we see with eye, it may not suitable for capture dim image. Its autofocus is fast although it only has 3 focus points. Continuous shooting at 2.5fps is enough for fast moving object shooting & start to delay when buffer is full, but I think it's the limitation for a entry level DSLR camera. You may take up to 470 shots in a single charges but for real time shot test I able to took around 400 shots with flash on all the time.


D40 ISO performance is excellent, photo captured with ISO 800 is clear & noise free. There are noticeable noise on image above ISO 1600 but still you hardly see it on 4R photo printing.

It equipped with F3.5 - 5.6, 18-55 mm Mk II Nikkor DX zoom lens. Bundled lens is performs well with crisp & vivid photo captured. However, purple fringing is seen on most of the daylight photos. Sometimes, double image may seen on photo due to absent of anti-shake system. However, you may consider Nikkor AF-S VR lens to overcome the hand shake problem. The choices of lens of Nikon D40 is not much since it's not compatible with older Nikkor lens because its focus motor built inside the lens instead of D40 body.

Conclusion
Overall, I would strongly recommended Nikon D40 to DSLR camera beginner because of its excellent image quality, ISO performance & price tag. Its shortcomings would be limited lens choices, no anti-shake system & 3 focus points only. However, I don't think this is the big deal from stopping you to pursue this excellent entry level DSLR camera.
Here are some sample shots taken using Nikon D40.

D40S3Portrait Shoot of Baby Lok Yi

D40S4Macro Shoot of “Xi” Chinese Character

D40S1Portrait Shoot No. 2 of Baby Lok Yi

D40S5Macro Shoot on Locker

D40S2Portrait Shoot No. 3 of Baby Lok Yi

Comments

Jason said…
Hi... Do tell me more about the camera as I was thinking of getting one. email me at jchia49@hotmail.com

The part I dont understand is the single and twin lens? wats that? and is the d40 shock prove?

Popular posts from this blog

Bali Island ( 9 - 12 May 06)

Video Collection of the Month